Friday, March 19, 2010

International Speech Contest - Toastmasters

International Speech Contest in Logica- Toastmasters (27th Feb-2010) Area B5 Contest
Bangalore
The moment I got a mail for the “International Speech Contest” to be held in Logica – I wondered what to speak on. Thanks to my MBA classes – I had to give a presentation the same day with my colleagues which was supposed to be evaluated. Anyways – after reading the “Big” manual for the Intl. speech contest – the biggest hurdle was getting a script ready & what to speak on. As you all know – I am a Bike/Car aficionado. In one of my assignments for Marketing – I read amazing reviews/articles on Tata Nano – how the concept came and design. I did quite a bit to formulate the script and make it into a speech. Thanks to Google – where you will have an abundance of materials on Nano. Gosh – it is such a hit that you will be swarmed by the reviews. Well – I was more involved into it. It took me – almost 2 days to finalize on the Speech ,,,and now was ready to start on with the preparations. With my MBA assignments on track - - I had a 2 page to review. Thanks to my manager – who gave me time to practice – otherwise I would have been blank on the practice sessions. I do not know how may hours I had put on the preparation for the speech,,but I do know that many prepare for more than 2 months to take part in the contest. I heard from Alex – one of buddies who in Logica Toastmasters – that one of his friends prepared for more than 6 months. Wow – what dedication.
D-Day
Part-1
It was a big day for me as I had to present in the MBA class – my project on M&A and then rush to Logica for the Speech contest. The day began smooth at the Institute – but as the day approached for lunch – my heart started to beat faster and faster. I was not able to focus in any of the lectures,,finally,, it was time to leave. I had a group presentation to give with my colleagues on mergers “Emirates with Indigo Airlines”. I figured out that if I do the presentation – I will not be able to attend the Intl. speech contest. I informed my colleagues on this and headed straight for the venue.
Part-2
I can still remember the drive from Koramangala to Logica (Marathalli) – I was tensed. As I got close to the venue – my hands started to sweat. A moment that i would not forget. Approx. 60/70 members were at the venue and it was nice to see Alex, Lalan and Veronica around – after all – it was a Logica event.
4 more contestants were left to speak on the “Prepared Speeches” section. As the names were called out – I feared mine being the next. But, yes – it was called out – and I was there at the Dias within seconds. I looked at the crowd dazzled, I froze for a moment. Standing in front of an audience – listening to what you speak is something I will never forget. I gained momentum and spoke with confidence. Of all the hard work and preparation done – the speech went in a constant flow. I was in a rush to finish my speech – but that is where the challenge is all about-to speak at ease, confidence and above all – a powerful speech. I did not know when my speech ended. By the time – I was at the sofa relaxing – I finally had delivered my International Speech.
2 more speakers delivered their speck and the results were out. Logibods were delighted when the results were out. Alex came 3rd in the “Prepared speeches” and a win too in the “Table Topics”.
As the meeting got over, Sirur Sir was happy that the event held in Logica was successful. All of us - who were there present at the venue - clicked photos -Lalan,Soma(my-wife),Alex & Lata. It was an achievement for Logica Toastmasters.